Thursday, November 6, 2008

Welcome

Welcome everybody, this is my first attempt at blogging, so it may take some time for me to get the hang of it.
My main purpose for this blog is to discuss chess and my hope is that I will improve my game with this discussion. I doubt that at my level, I will be able to help others improve very much, but if that happens it will be a bonus.
I only play chess online, there is a club in Sacramento but they meet on the same nights that I play hockey. I am rated 1500s on FICS and Yahoo, I'm not really sure what that would translate to in USCF rating points though. I am a 1. e4 player, preferring the Ruy Lopez, the Advance French and I think I want to learn the Panov-Botvinnik against the Caro-Kann, but I very rarely see that opening in my games. As Black I play the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon(Hyper-Accelerated really) against 1. e4 and the Nimzo-Indian against 1. d4(blah).
My biggest weakness seems to be that I play too fast, not always taking the time to really think through every move before I play it. I try to play games that are at least 10 minutes with a 15 second/move bonus. It is not uncommon to finish a game with 15+ minutes on my clock at that time control. Which is nice when I get near the end of a game and my opponent has under a minute left while I'm sitting with 10+, but sometimes I make a mistake due to not fully thinking things out, and the end of the game comes much quicker.
I will work on posting a couple of games soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any input will be read, and the good stuff appreciated!